Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Once Upon a Time.......

So, a few days ago I shared with you guys the Fairytale workstations we were working on.  Now I want to show you some of the work we have been doing to go along with our unit study!!!


We started each day by reading, listening to, and watching (on youtube) different classic Fairytales. Then we would all huddle around out check list and compare the fairytales to the typical elements included. This idea is an idea from an awesome blog ( Just Another Day In Mrs. Tabb's Class ) my coworker found on pinterest! Yeah!

Our Anchor Chart describing Fairytale Elements in more detail. 
 
This idea came from an inspiration from my coworker (did I mention we work great together!) She showed me story mapping using "Somebody, Wanted, But, So".  I really liked this because it was a different approach to character, problem, resolution, etc..... AND we made them look like bean stalks!!!  We read Jack and The Beanstalk by Steven Kellogg (IT WAS SO GREAT!!!)


I loved that the kids didn't just pick Jack.  This one is Jack's mom! and she wanted (Jack to get muny) but (Jack got binss) so (mom thrw tim awy!) haha...kids and their creative spelling!

 
This goes with our Repunzel story.....And I will tell you, always, always, ALWAYS preread a story!!!  I began showing them the pictures in a beautiful but crazy long story and all of a sudded there where babies in the woods with her and I had to try to explain how she got the babies (with out telling the kids that Rapunzel was hooking up with the prince)!
 

Here was our first fairytale writing, and of course, I didn't put it first in the post, Silly me! 


And Lastly, the kids (EVEN boys) loved the scrap book paper I pulled out for the Princess and the Pea!  They even loved the glitter pages too! You can't tell but the peas are made out of green foam that has been punched out of my 3/4" circle diecut.  (MY FAVORITE TEACHING GADGET!)

No comments:

Post a Comment